App and mobile website are unusable

MICHAEL BRADEN

03 Jan, 2018 07:12 PM

I purchased a HarperCollins book on Christmas day. I was forced to install the BookShout app to read it on my Android device (Google Pixel XL). The book is available in the app, however the app and mobile website are unusable. The load times are incredibly slow (on wifi), it constantly resets my position back to the start of the section/chapter (while I am reading it, or if, gods forbid, I change my screen orientation briefly), if I highlight a word there is no way to escape out of the popup, and it skips large sections of the chapter. I spent 15 bewildered minutes reading last night before I realized it had skipped the rest of the chapter/section and jumped to the next chapter/section (from 5% of the book to 19%). Trying to swipe back pages to browse to the previous chapter took me to a random page somewhere near where it had skipped, but I could never read past where it skipped. The mobile website (via Google Chrome app) was similarly plagued. In fact, I couldn't even log in to the mobile website because the captcha popup window "accept" button wouldn't work - I had to request the desktop site to log in. When I did manage to log in, I would touch the side of the screen to go to the next page and it wouldn't do anything, then would randomly jump 5-10 pages. It is incredibly frustrating. I don't need silly encouragements to read (word goals and book buck and DAILY spam reports); I would just like to read the book I purchased. I can say for certain I will never buy a HarperCollins or any other ebook ever again if it requires using this app or website.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Tiffany on 03 Jan, 2018 08:17 PM

Good Afternoon Mr.Braden,
    We are very sorry you are experiencing an issue with the app. The behavior you are describing most definitely not intended. We have our developers looking into your issue to determine the root cause of your issues.
    For now you should be able to read in the Chrome browser by performing the following actions:
    Go to www.bookshout.com/signin
    Select Sign in with Other
    Select Harper Collins
    Enter your username and password
    You should be taken to your dashboard and bookshelf

If you do not want to receive any emails, once logged in:
    Go to Settings
    Select Notifications from list on the left
    Uncheck the boxes for the emails you no longer wish to receive and apply the settings.
    Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience caused as we look into your issue. BookShout Support Team

2. Tiffany closed this discussion on 03 Jan, 2018 08:17 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac